Approximately 787,000 people commute each weekday into Boston and surrounding areas such as Brookline, Cambridge, Chelsea, Everett, Malden, Medford, Revere, Somerville, and Winthrop, according to an analysis of 2012 travel patterns by the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization. 71 percent of those commuters drive into the area. With that many people on the road daily, your chances of being involved in an accident rise substantially. No one wants to be involved in an auto accident. Not only are they inconvenient—but they often result in costly damage and injuries. Although majority of car accidents involve only property damage, 20 percent of collisions result in fatal injuries.
If you’ve been involved in a car accident in the Boston area due to someone’s negligence, the personal injury attorneys at Taurus Law Group can help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a FREE consultation!
What to Do at the Scene of the Accident
Car accidents can be chaotic. In the event of an accident, stay calm and try not to panic. Whether you’re involved in a car accident, motorcycle accident, or truck accident, follow these steps at the scene of the accident:
- Keep the area safe. If your vehicle is obstructing traffic or in a dangerous location, move your car to a safe nearby location—but don’t leave the scene! If you have flares or cones, set those up a good distance from your car so passersby take notice of the situation.
- Check for injuries. Was everyone wearing their seatbelt? Are the drivers and passengers in both cars unharmed? If someone is injured, contact emergency help immediately.
- Contact the police. Typically any accident that occurs outside of a parking lot will require an officer to be present. You may need a police report to file a claim with your insurance company, even if it is just to make a claim for damage to your car.
- Exchange information. Obtain the address, phone number, and insurance information of the other driver. If possible, take a photo of their insurance card for future reference. (You’re less likely to misplace your phone than a piece of paper with scribbled information!) If there are witnesses, you should get information from them as well so that you or your attorney can contact them in the future.
- Take pictures. In today’s day and age, majority of people have a camera phone. Take photos of the vehicles if there is visible damage. Similarly, if there are visible injuries you should document those as well. Documented evidence can help you further down the line if you opt to file a claim against the negligent driver.
What to Do After an Accident in the Boston Area
After leaving the scene of the accident, you’re job isn’t done. You need to:
- Call your insurance company. As soon as you can, report the accident to your insurance company. Most auto policies require immediate reporting—plus, contacting them immediately will help to resolve the situation more quickly.
- Seek medical attention. While cars typically sustain most of the damage in a vehicle collision, passengers can sometimes experience major injuries—even if they’re not immediately apparent. Many of our clients report feeling the most pain a day or two following a car crash. Unless you are certain you were not injured, you should seek medical attention at your local emergency room immediately following the collision.
- Protect your rights. If you were injured at the hands of another driver, you have rights. Hiring a personal injury law firm, like Taurus Law Group, provides you with a legal team that will help you receive compensation for your vehicle and medical bills related to the auto accident.
Car Accident & Wrongful Death Attorneys in the Boston Area
Auto accidents can be devastating. Not only that, but they can cause serious damage to both your vehicle and your person. If you or someone in your family—a spouse, parent, child, or even a close friend—has been seriously injured or killed in a car accident, you need experienced, trustworthy Boston personal injury lawyers on your side: Taurus Law Group. We offer legal representation throughout the Greater Boston area for wrongful death cases including car accidents caused by negligent drivers.
To schedule a FREE consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney in the Boston area, please call us at 844-2-TAURUS (844-282-8787). Or, contact us online!