We can help!WE'RE BULL-ISH
CALL NOW: 844-282-8787

Worker’s Compensation FAQ

After I am injured on the job, how long does the insurance company have to start sending me my checks?

When you have been unable to earn full wages for five (5) or more full or partial calendar days due to an injury on the job, your employer has seven (7) days, not including Sundays and legal holidays, from the fifth date of loss, to report the injury to its insurance company.

The insurance company then has 14 calendar days from receipt of the first report of injury to mail you a check or, if it intends to contest the claim, to send you a form stating its reasons for denying compensation.

If I am injured on the job and have to go to the hospital for treatment, does my employer have to pay me for the entire day?

The only requirement under state law is that your employer needs to pay you for the hours you actually worked. If your employer does pay you for just the hours you worked, then the day you were injured would be considered the first day of disability. If your employer paid you for the entire day, or shift, then the next day would be considered the first day of disability.

My employer’s insurance company wants me to be examined by another doctor in addition to my own. Is that routine or standard?

It is a standard operating procedure for your employer’s workers’ compensation carrier to send you to a doctor of their choosing for an examination.

Do I have to go to this doctor’s appointment set up by the insurer? Do they have to reimburse me for lost wages?

Yes, you must go the appointment, or your benefits will be terminated. You are compensated only for lost work time, not lost wages.

How long do I have to file a claim after I am injured?

Under MGL c. 152 § 41 for injuries on or after January 1, 1986, a claim must be filed with the insurer within four (4) years of the date an employee becomes aware of the causal connection between their disability and their employment. In the case of the death of an employee, the claim must be filed within four (4) years of death.